Friday, May 7, 2010

Yelling really loud for no apparent reason

When I was a child, the neighbors would always get together and play many different types of games. Among the games were:

  • Kick the Can
  • Capture the flag
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Hockey

And I am sure there were many many more.
As I grow older, I realize two things.
  1. These games most likely bothered the neighbors
  2. Kids dont play the same games anymore

The games that I have noticed lately are:
  • Play in the road
  • Make your dog bark really loud
  • Yell really loud for no apparent reason
Today I want to talk about Yell really loud for no apparent reason (Which is sometimes a hybrid of "Play in the road" and "Make your dog bark really loud")


(This is a demonstration of one of the techniques used in the game)


Yell really loud for no apparent reason:
I am sure this game has been around much longer than me, but for some reason I was never allowed to play it. I do however have the special privilege of hearing the game played almost every day. To play the game you need the following.

  1. A "yelling field" (This is like a baseball field, but not really)
  2. A few other kids, to help add variety to the yelling
  3. Apathetic parents
  4. People to hear how good you are (Optional)
It just so happens that a "yelling field" is located right behind my house, near my bedroom window!!! Yelling fields are not that hard to maintain. When a yelling field is not being used, you can lock a dog up outside that barks every 5 seconds, in order to keep the spirit of the game alive. That's right, my neighbors backyard is PRIME territory for the yelling game. The game usually starts when the parents are sick of there children, so they turn them loose to be noisy in the backyard. Some of the best times to play the yelling game are 7:30 am on saturday morning, or just about anytime someone really just wishes they had some piece and quiet. The way to score points in the yelling game are as follows.

Anytime a neighbor says one of the following:
  • I never played that game when I was a child
  • I will never let my children play this game when they go outside
  • I hate children
  • I can't seem to fall back asleep
  • Are those children being attacked by a bear?? (This one merits 3 points)
There are other ways to score points, for instance... Anytime the game has been allowed to go on another 30 minutes, your score is tripled.

The neighbor kids are VERY good at this game. If there was a professional league for this game, it would only be a matter of time before a talent scout stumbled upon this find. The kids cannot have all of the credit however. I think that the loving parents who encourage this behavior, and help keep the "yelling field" in good repair (See dog barking) deserve as much credit as the children do.

2 comments:

  1. Eric,
    I sat behind you in Health my sophomore year when you were a senior. Coach Rice taught us. You were the only one brave enough to shout out bodily fluids when we did the sex education course.

    And I had no idea you were such a talented writer. I love your blog thus far.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you :)

    And very sorry for any other shocking high school memories. I promise, I am much tamer now!

    ReplyDelete